The diagonal dyke is a bit of a puzzle. It's green weed-covered, surface can be seen in the first of these last two photographs. Much of this appears to be caused because the outfall is largely choked with silt that reeds now grow in, leaving the diagonal dyke stagnant. The dyke's presence leaves an inaccessible triangular island in the north west corner of the grounds. I suppose the dyke was dug to help ease the outfall from the boundary dyke into the main drainage dyke, but it would appear that the boundary dykes were simply dug to help drain the peat found west of Chapel Road and aren't fed by drains from the slightly higher ground east of Chapel Road. That would mean that there is never going to be any significant flow in them that would justify the diagonal cut. I'd love to know what information I'm missing that would provide an answer to why it was dug.

1 Comment

RustonHouse RustonHouse

Re: Another Walk Around the Grounds

At last, I can add the long awaited photograph of the fallen tree on the island.

Fallen Tree
This is the one first mentioned in my post on 13 December 2013, which refers to a post made on our first day here at Ruston House and a photograph where you could still see it standing.
Greg Chapman
Ruston House