Having said that a couple of times recently, I have spotted a newt by the gate onto the decking. The ones I spot move incredibly fast and disappear through gaps in the paving slabs or into a rather smaller hole than those I have been describing above, more the size that a mole might dig, that is right next to the gate post. It's because they move so fast that I haven't been able to capture them on camera.

1 Comment

RustonHouse RustonHouse

Re: Do we have Water Voles?

I finally took to the boat today, armed with a rake, and started clearing the pond weed. It was while doing this that I confirmed that there are a good number of holes in the vertical face of the bank throughout the area where the holes can be found ashore.

It reinforces the idea in my mind that they are the holes of water voles. I read on The Wildlife Trust's Web Site that I should be looking for piles of nibbled grass and stems found by the water's edge, showing a distinctive 45° angled-cut at the ends and possibly 'latrines' of rounded, cigar-shaped droppings. I guess I had better look again!
Greg Chapman
Ruston House