Goose Nest Ransacked!

While taking my stroll round the lake yesterday, I noticed that something had attacked the goose nest so, in a few spare moments this evening, I took my boat round to the island to examine it at close quarters.

Goose Eggs Destroyed
The sight that greeted me only provided the final confirmation that the nest had been abandoned. When the Oiling of the Eggs took place a fortnight ago those watching were told there were nine eggs in the nest. However, I only saw the remains of four, three still in the nest and the other nearby.

Talking about it, someone suggested it would be a fox that had cleared the nest. I had wondered if the prize was enough to be worthy of the swim, and thought it more likely a bird would have been the culprit. I await advice from others.