Progress on the New Path

Today I felt it was time for another session photographing some of the grounds. In particular I wanted some showing the progress on the new path at the very back of the site. However, as I started out I realised I had never taken a picture of the view through the gate across the communal area behind the cottages, so that was the first one today.

Communal Grounds Behind The Cottages
Next I found there were both ducks and geese awaiting me at the far end of the lawn behind the cottages. It seems that nothing came of the Nest Site I had got excited about some two weeks ago, so the pair of geese can now be found almost anywhere around the grounds.

Ducks and Geese
In the end I made a couple of circuits of the grounds as the weather got progressively brighter in the hour after I first started out and it prompted me to emerge from the house again. The next view, taken from under a tree a little further round the lake than the previous picture, was taken on my second tour.
I don't recall using the tree before. I feel it provides a pleasant frame to the picture.

The Lake From Under A Tree
After that I continued round the lake and onto the peninsula that runs out into the lake behind the main island. I stopped to take a photograph of the tree that last November's cottage owner's work party had felled. The trouble is that much of it was underwater and is now re-growing. It looks as if it needs some further attention to keep it under control.

Regrowing Tree
Returning from the peninsula I passed through the gate in the fence that leads to Ruston House's private grounds where I took the photos of the path I planned to do. These were mainly intended to update the views that I had taken when my friend, Bernie, had come to do what I ended up describing as a Good Day's Work.

Embanking the New Path
At the end of March he had managed to cut a way through the impenetrable undergrowth at the back and far side of the site. Now, six weeks later, I had managed to clear away all the unwanted trimmings and, at last, had used the stakes that had been cut during that work party last year.

Embanking the New Path
I was able to push the stakes straight into the peat that forms the soil by hand. I always knew that the ground behind the house was soft. You almost bounce on it as if a child walking across a mattress. But I had not appreciated quite how easy it would be to push a one inch diameter piece of timber two feet or more into the ground.

Embanking the New Path
The stakes were used to support horizontally laid timber that kept the soil in place which had been piled up to obtain a reasonably level path through the scrub land that occupies the area beyond the lake. Part of the new path follows a route that traverses the great piles of spoil created when the lakes were first dug out. hence some levelling was required.

The area in this last view shows the main dyke at the back of the property. I have still to find a load of soil to build up the level here. After prolonged rain this area of the path is liable to flood. It's not a serious issue as there are plenty of place from which soil could be taken, but it is one of those many tasks still on the "To Do" list.

As you'll know if you read my last entry covering The New Path, it rejoins the old path about half way along the back of the property. From there it is a some yards further before you reach a place where you can see the house. It is the same spot where you get a view of the end of the peninsula, that I so much like because although looking towards the main part of the village, at the height of summer, there is not a trace of a building to be seen. Turning you see one of my favourite views of the house and understandably, one that the estate agent made much of at the time we bought the place.

Ruston House
After taking that pictures, I continued along the western boundary and up onto the embankment that forms the southern boundary in that corner of the site. The embankment surrounds the reed bed that was originally intended to purify all waste water on the site, but proved ineffective.

The Path Beside The Reed Bed
This path is part of what we jokingly call the "High Road" as it remains at a higher level than any of the other paths for almost its whole length, finally, dropping to rejoin the main path beside the Summerhouse that overlooks the lake.

Back on the main path, it's just a few steps back to the house.